Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

How to Make a Snow Garden

Awhile ago I was visiting my neighbors, the Turners.  I was invited to participate in making a snow garden.


Overnight my project changed, and by the third night Titus' snow garden had overgrown onto a napkin holder.
I like day three's look the best.  The snow garden looked like soft moss.

On day four, it looked like coral.  The color was bright and complete.  The entire bottom of the bowl has moss on it.


There should also be white showing by now.


 Four days later and it will be time to regrow your snow garden.
How to Make a Snow Garden
Step 1, place some coal or ammonia rocks (washed and dried) into a glass bowl .  (The coal is the soil, and should mostly fill a small glass bowl.)

Step 2, add drops of food coloring over the coal.

Step 3, sprinkle table salt completely over the coal.

Step 4, add 4 Tbs of water and 4Tbs of bluing.

Step 5, wait and watch, for you're done!
Thank you for your notice,Cameron





11 comments:

  1. I dig it. Wish I could have seen pictures of Titus' Snow Garden when it was overflowing. I have a couple questions: 1.) How long with the garden continue to grow? 2.)What kind of salt did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool project! We are lucky to have the Turners as neighbors. I have had a lot of fun watching your snow gardens grow. Thanks for sharing the steps on how to do it because I wanted to know so we could do this again!

    Oh and by the way...I kind of like you...a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I will share this with my daughter so she can show her sons How to Make a Snow Garden. My oldest grandson is 7, and LOVES to be outside!

    This is a great way to log all of your activities throughout life. You're writing your own book along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool idea! I am going to save it to do with my granddaughter, when she grows up a bit. Oh how I wish I had know about doing this when I was a teacher!!!
    BTW...what kind of salt was used in your project?

    I love that you are writing your own blog. It's such a wonderful way for you to catalog your discoveries and exploitations. Not to mention that it's a great writing tool! (Sorry...the teacher in my couldn't resist).

    I look forward to reading more about you.
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. For this project I used regular table salt.

      Delete
  5. What a great project! Thank you for sharing with us...my daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you get the ammonia rocks? Congrats on your new blog...looks very professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used regular fire coal that could be found in a local grocery store.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Cameron! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful 'science experiment.' The nice thing about this type of 'snow making' is that you don't have to put anodes on the snow making pipeline. Ha. You did an exceptional job with your directions. I plan to send this to my granddaughter so she can make snow. Also, I forgot to mention on your 'fort' post is that I like how you left us 'dangling' about what the rope was for. (Pun intended)
    Not sure why I can't sign in with my typepad profile.

    ReplyDelete